Join Your Local Affiliate
In Wisconsin, Texas and Connecticut volunteers of state groups are working to make communities safer
About States United to Prevent Gun Violence
WHO WE ARE
States United to Prevent Gun Violence is a national non-profit organization dedicated to making our families and communities safer. Our mission is to support state-based gun violence prevention organizations and to bring new partners into the movement. Together with our 27 state affiliates – and our combined 150,000 grassroots supporters – we are working to build healthy communities by reducing gun death and injury through stronger laws, community education and grassroots action.
WHAT WE STAND FOR
Americans have the right to live in a country free from the fear, loss, and grief caused by gun violence. Whether we live on the South side of Chicago, in bucolic suburban Newtown or in rural Virginia, we all have the right to be safe in our homes, schools, and communities.
This year States United and its affiliates are united in a state-by-state and national effort to:
- Make all Americans safer by keeping guns out of the hands of felons, terrorists and the violent mentally ill through background checks for all gun purchases.
- Keep women and children safer by keeping guns out of the hands of domestic abusers.
- Protect families by demanding that gun-owners take responsibility and keep guns in the home locked, unloaded and safely stored.
- Educate parents and children to talk about the risk and dangers of gun violence in the home and on our streets.
- Prevent mass shootings by banning military-style weapons from our communities.
WHAT WE DO
States United and our affiliates are helping to build a national movement to make our children, families and communities safer. The mission of States United is to support existing state-based gun violence prevention organizations and to foster new state organizations to:
- Develop effective policy and best practices
- Organize local action to highlight gun violence impacts and costs
- Keep close watch on increasingly dangerous gun lobby policies
- Communicate effectively with community leaders, the public and the media
- Provide fact-based input to local elected representatives and members of Congress about gun policy to help foster progress
States United provides vital resources and support to state organizations to help each work more effectively. For example, we:
- Provide technical support for website development and social media
- Help state groups engage supporters with a low-cost shared online communications system for emails, alerts, petitions and fundraising
- Provide a popular shared e-newsletter
- Educate members on policy initiatives and best practices
- Connect members to groups of like-minded organizations for policy and program support and instruction
- Provide training to members on organizational efforts and board building
- Connect states to resources for building coalitions and grassroots activism
- Provide messaging support and social media templates
Stand with States United
Share States United:
Like us on Facebook
Take action today and sign the petition in support of updating antiquated gun laws.